Wednesday, January 26, 2011

...Belated Update...


Isn't the picture fantastic?? 
What makes it even more amazing is that it was completely unplanned. Otto & I both made those faces at the last second. Ha. 
Who couldn't love that face?!

Lately, I have been yo-yoing back and forth between doing really well and having a hard time getting out of bed or feeling so sick that I can't sleep at all. It's an interesting balance that is hard to really believe unless you experience it.

I'll share the good news first...
The Saturday before last I went snowboarding!! It was so much fun. Otto and I picked up my good friend (and former roommate) Tiffany and her boyfriend Scott (also known as +1 and boyfriend 2). We drove up to Wisconsin and went to Cascade. It was a really long day, Otto and I left the house at 6:30 A.M. and got back home around 10:30 P.M.

We have so much fun with Tiff & Scott. Also, I got to ride my new board that Otto got me for my birthday. It was fantastic. To add another twist to an already fun-filled adventure, I ran into a good friend before I even got to warm on on the bunny slope!!

Tiff, Scott, & Otto are all more experienced then I am when it comes to snowboarding, so I told them to go do some runs while I got the feel of my new board on the bunny hill. I was making some adjustments to my attire when I heard someone call my name. It turned out to be Justin Kuryliw! 

Justin and I have been friends since junior high. Well, we have know each other since junior high. He annoyed me incessantly back then. Somewhere along the line we became good friends.

Justin and I have been on a few previous ski trips together before; but we had never snowboarded together before.

It turned out that Justin just happened to be at Cascade that Saturday with a couple of his friends. I joined them for a little bit. It was really good to catch up with him and spend some time watching his friends to snowboard.

Overall, the day was a lot of fun. Snowboarding is a very athletic activity and I am not able to do it as much as I would like to be able to. It makes my legs hurt so much and exhausts me for days afterward. But, it is all worth it. 

Tiff, Otto, & I
Scott & Otto with their matching boards
Tiff & I showing off our stuff
Otto & I...it was getting really, really cold
We were so hungry after a day of snowboarding that we decided to hit up Cracker Barrel on the way home. There is nothing like warm comfort food after a day spent outside in the snow.  

I have a hard time snowboarding, thanks to POTS. It makes my energy levels really low, and I get excruciating pain down my legs. But, I am not going to give up another thing I love...just because my body keeps telling me not to do it.

I fall a lot when I board. I am not great at snowboarding, I just have fun doing it. 
This last time I fell on my butt so hard, I think I injured my tailbone a little bit. It hurt for days afterwards. Sitting down was a new adventure every time. I was making jokes about being an old lady because I needed a 'donut' to sit on and I love to knit. Funny picture, right?!  I was also really, really sore. I couldn't lift my arms above my head for about two days afterwards. Washing my hair was interesting.

In other breaking news...

Redhead
I dyed my hair for the first time ever. It is now a really dark red. I LOVE it. I have wanted to be a red head for as long as I can remember. My best friend, Val, has this gorgeous natural, curly red hair. I have always been so jealous of her for that (ever since we were 4). Besides the fact that she is beautiful on top of that! 

I am so happy I chose this color. Otto calls me Jessica Rabbit now. Haha. 

Dying my hair has also allowed me to take back control over part of my body. Most of the time I do not have control over my body like 'normal people'. I do not know if I will be able to wake up in the morning and get out of bed. Have the energy to get everything done that I need to. A lot of my life is unknown. So, being able to control my hair (as unimportant as that is in the scheme of things), makes a difference to me.

...Moose Trading Co...

I have spent a lot of time recently knitting things. I was taught to knit when I was in elementary school by my pastor's wife. I have started knitting again, and can make all different kinds of things.

This last week I have opened my own Etsy Shop called Moose Trading Co. There I offer custom hand knitting, made to order!! The shop is still in the process of being set up, I will be posting pictures of items, and setting prices later this weekend. But, for now:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MooseTradingCo

Please check it out and check back for updates. Also, PLEASE let your friends know about it!!

I am sure I will post about Moose Trading Co. again. Especially after I get everything up and running.

Unfortunately, not everything has been all hunky dory. 

My POTS has been flaring up more then usual these past two or so weeks. I have been much more lethargic then I usually am and I have been feeling really sick. I haven't been able to sleep, which makes trying to feel better seem like a loosing battle.

It doesn't help that I had a sinus infection when I returned from Florida. I don't show the typical signs of sinus infections, I just get massive sinus migraines and have lots of sinus pressure. Having lots of migraines in a row was really not an enjoyable experience. I am terrified to take the antibiotics for the sinus infections. I did so about this time last year & had a horrible allergic reaction to them. My sinuses felt like they were on fire and burning thru my face. My stomach also felt like it was burning up. It was terrible.

Due to reasons related to insurance, blah blah blah. I have had to switch local doctors. Dr. Fischer is still my doctor on issues relating directly to POTS. I also need a doctor located closer to home for general well-being and immediate care. 

Changing doctors is not an easy process. Especially when you have a disease that most doctors haven't ever heard of before. Luckily, I think I have found a good doctor, who is willing to interact with Dr. Fischer and I while learn about POTS Syndrome. This is very important with how POTS effects my lifestyle.

My allergy to all over the counter drugs (tylenol is in many many prescription drugs too), and many antibiotics makes prescribing me any kind of medication a tricky and frustrating process. Sometimes it comes down to a decision of taking a medication that I will have a minor allergic reaction to. Or, not taking any medication at all. Yes....frustrating.

I need to have a doctor that will listen to me and trust that I know my body well. Believe it or not, I have run into many doctors who do not do this.

I have run into a couple doctors whose approach to medicine I thought were suspect. That is a discussion for another time.

Swirls & Sparkles,
K
<3


No comments:

Post a Comment