Wednesday, February 9, 2011

{Crazy Pills}



There are parts of 'being sick' that people just don't discuss. For reasons I am still not completely clear on, but it's just something that is just not done. Well, I am going to break that silence.


All the medications that patients are prescribed to treat their to treat their ailments are wonderful. They help with the pain and specific issues that each individual disease entails. What is not really discussed are the side effects of those medications and the effect they have on the people, who are already sick, taking them.


One of the medications I am on is a daily preventative medication for migraines. When it was prescribed to me the nurse sat down with me and went through all of the side effects I might experience with it and how it had affected other patients. 


This drug is nicknamed 'the stupid pill' by those who take it. 


That should have told me something right there! I forget simple words, for example, table. I can tell you that it has four legs, it's made out of wood, you can place things on it, etc. But, I just can't think of the word. It is very, very annoying and makes me feel/look stupid. It happens all the time.


This medication also makes pop taste horrible. When the nurse first told me about this I didn't believe her. Then, I experienced it for myself. Diet Coke (which I LOVE) tasted hOrRiBlE, along with every other pop. This started after I took the first pill.


Oh, the list keeps going.


Some people use this pill specifically to loose weight. That is not what this medication is actually intended for; but, it is big side effect. I forget to eat a lot. When I do eat, I eat a lot less then I used to. 
The medication I am on for my heart is another whole story.


When I was first prescribed the medication for my heart I was a mess. I had to take one pill three times a day. The medication made my heart race and feel like it was going to break out of my chest. It was not comfortable at all.


I was also on an emotional roller coaster. I would be happy and full of energy for a little bit, climbing the walls the next minute, and then depressed for no reason.


The combination of my heart racing and being on a perpetual emotional roller coaster made me feel extremely paranoid. It was not fun. Nothing felt normal to me. It felt like I was on constant alert.


When I would start to feel more equalized or 'normal' again it would be about time to take the next dose of meds.


As I was having trouble with this medication when it was first prescribed; I found out that a woman in the community had just committed suicide. She had just been prescribed the same medication I was having trouble with, her reaction to the changes the drug induced had been life altering.


That was extremely scary to think about at the time. I was not in complete control of my mind or actions, and this drug was supposed to be helping me?!


It came down to the fact that without this medication, my brain was not being supplied with a healthy amount of blood. So, I stayed on the medication and learned to deal with the side effects.


I am thankful that over time I have had to deal with these issues less and less.


Chocolate is the Best Medicine,
K
<3

1 comment: