Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cruel & Unusual Punishment

**mIgRaInEs**


    I have suffered from migraines for a couple years now. While we are unsure as to wether the onslaught of my migraines is directly related to my Pots Syndrome, it is a side effect of the disease over all. It just happens that I began suffering from migraines a couple years before we think I became sick.
    A side effect of the disease that I do suffer from is that I am now allergic to all OTCs (over the counter medications, specifically pain medications). Before I became sick, I could take Advil, Aleeve, Tylenol, etc. Now, I am unable to takes these meds without having an allergic reaction. This makes dealing with my migraines hard, and very painful. On the positive side, my pain tolerance has increased.
    I have learned some holistic treatments to help with the pain of migraines. Smelling cayenne pepper helps relieve the pressure in the head, and helps ease the pain with some migraines. Others can be soothed by eating Chinese hot and sour soup. If these remedies don't work, drinking tea, coffee, or anything with caffeine may help to release the pressure. If none of those options work, there are two options left, wrapping your head in an ice pack and lying still, or facial/head massage on pressure points (there is also a pressure point between your thumb and pointer finger that will help relieve a headache when massaged).


    Sometimes the pain is just so bad, there is nothing to do but crawl into bed in a dark room and hope for sleep. At these times, wetting wash cloths and freezing them and then laying them over your eyes can help ease the pain in your head. Getting your neck and shoulders to relax is also another good way to help soothe a head that feels like it is going to explode. Heat packs are very helpful with this. I use cloth bags with rice in them that I heat up in the microwave.
    As always, drink lots and lots of water whenever you are in so much pain. It is important to take good care of the rest of your body while your head is in anguish. 
    I have been up all night with a horrendous migraine. I have taken my prescription meds, and they didn't do anything but take the edge off of the pain for a little bit. I have tried everything in my 'bag of tricks.' Now, I guess it is just a waiting game for it to go away. Woohoo.
Foot massage...anyone?? hehe.

Cupcakes & Hot Cocoa.
K
<3



No comments:

Post a Comment